Saturday, October 29, 2005

you say potato, i say..vodka?

my uncle bruce (my mom's brother) was recently off on one of his jaunts around the world. the man seriously has traveled to a zillion countries. on this most recent trip he stopped in slovakia and poland, trying to find out where my grandmother's ancestors are from. we already know that my grandfather's family is from a little village at the foot of the carpathian alps in slovakia. my grandmother is slovak too, so it was surprising to learn that the village my grandmother's family is from is now part of POLAND. Yep, it seems that shortly after my grandmother's family fled slovakia in the early 1900's, the boundary lines were re-drawn, effectively making the village of Piekielnik solidly on the Polish side of the Poland-Slovakia border. http://www.mytarg.net/Village%20Info/Piekielnik%20PL.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home