Monday, May 02, 2005

Whoopi

Whoopi Goldberg is my new hero. Now that I have cable TV, I have been spending an inordinate amount of time in front of it. It's a shame, really. But I justify being a couch potato with the fact that the weather has been crappy.

Back to Whoopi. So I was flipping through the channels on Friday, and I came across Whoopi doing stand up comedy. She was wearing dark sunglasses, a bandana around her forehead and had this weird pothead body shake going on. I though, "My God, when did Whoopi let herself become such a junky? She used to be so vibrant, so funny -- think of her in Sister Act!" Turns out that it was just one of the characters she embodies in her one woman show. It was terrific. I watched for over an hour as she morphed from this pothead character to a southern belle talking about her pudenda. The woman is a genius -- and not only is she funny, but she's intelligent and talks about current affairs and politics. I actually laughed out loud when she was talking about how gay marriage became such a hot button issue in the 2004 elections. She was like "And what the crap is up with Sponge Bob? People are saying that he's gay. How the hell do they know that he's gay? We don't know shit about Sponge Bob and his sexual preference. Hell, all we know about Sponge Bob is that he lives in a damn pineapple at the bottom of the sea."
That really tickled my funny bone... Word Whoopi, Word. And then she was talking about change and how we can't prevent it, but that we can keep an eye on the governement. She started talking about the Sting and the Police song -- 'Every breath you take, every move you make, I'll be watching you." And instead of being another cynic talking about how the government is Big Brother and all, she said no, it's the other way around. We have to let the government know that OUR eye is on THEM.... we should all just go around humming that song. How awesome would it be to get a big group of people to attend some Bush talk and just start humming that song under our breath? How great would that be?

JP and KL - I hereby nominate Whoopi for honorary membership of Wafia, what say you?

2 Comments:

Blogger k said...

Hey M!

Oooo! Good one! I say yay!

10:31 AM  
Blogger jennifer said...

well, we could use some diversification among our members, that's for certain. wg could also had some star power/attention to our cause/hollywood funding, so really, how can I say no? my only hesitation is that she might have better parties than me, but I think I'll get over it.

one question: what would her alter ego be named?

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home